A huge THANK YOU to all who came to yesterday’s Stop HRL Rally. Nearly 500 people attended to demand the government withdraw its funding from the dirty new coal project HRL. As protective services fretted over the crowd spilling far beyond the steps of Parliament House, a loud and enthusiastic crowd heard speeches from Quit Coal, Environment Victoria, Greenpeace, Adam Bandt MP, Kelvin Thompson MP and the Australian Youth Climate Coalition and chanted loud and clear ‘Stop HRL, No More Coal’ for the politicians and media to hear. The rally (and chant) also made it onto 10 news, broadcasting our collective voice to thousands more.
Keep the pressure on and let’s win this!
Now it’s time to make sure that our politicians in Canberra get your message loud and clear: we want HRL defunded.
Next Thursday 9 February, our friends at Environment Victoria will be in Canberra to have the nearly 13,000 strong Stop HRL petition tabled in Parliament.
At the same time, we can help to make sure the people making the big decision on HRLs funding get your message loud and clear.
Between 12 and 2pm on Thursday, 9 January, can you help us flood Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Energy Minister Martin Ferguson with your phone calls and Tweets? Don’t worry it’s not that scary! Here’s some tips
1. Mark the time and date (12-2pm, Thursday, 9 February) in your diary, online calendar or set a mobile phone reminder now. Go on – it’ll just take a second.
2.At 12pm next Thursday, call Julia Gillard’s office on (02) 6277 7700 with your message that;
* You support action on climate change
* You want HRL defunded and the money put into renewable energy
* Remember to leave your name and town or suburb so they know where you’re from
3. Next, call Energy Minister Martin Ferguson’s office with the same message – (02) 6277 7930
4. Then Minister for Finance and Deregulation Penny Wong – (02) 6277 7400
5. If you’re on Twitter make sure you tweet your message too. Include @AustralianLabor and @JuliaGillard in your message, and remember to use the hashtag #StopHRL
With nearly 13,000 signatures in front of them and hundreds of your voices on the phone, the key decision makers who could make or break HRL will get your message loud and clear.
So, is it in your diary yet?
(Here’s some more photos of our big day!)